Thursday, May 24, 2012

#16 Jamaica IS the House!

In 2010 I had agreed to go to a track meet with my ex-husband - an out of town track meet. In fact in the past, track had played an important role in our relationship. I was introduced to him by my father when I had visited for a summer vacation back in the 70's. He was my track work-out partner. And then 20 something years later, when my daughter was in high school on the track team, I ran into him at a track meet. He was coaching track and I was a volunteer coach for the boy's shot put. He asked me that day what I was doing for my birthday which was several months away and asked if he could take me out for my birthday and if I would join him for his, the month after mine. We had know each other as friends, double digits ago and I had no problem with the arrangements. A year later we would marry against my father's wishes. It was my second marriage and his first at the age of 48.

Track was our mutual love. So even though we were divorced by 2010 we had managed to return to our friendship, that should have stayed a friendship. I had not a tempted bone in my body and didn't think for a moment that it would have been a problem to go to the Penn Relays in Philadelphia in 2011. So I got on a plane and met my ex in Pennsylvania. Keep in mind I was still in "love" with Mr. Dreams (see #13 Dreaming of Love) . We were still talking everyday 2 to 3 times a day since March and the Relays were in April that year. I was not surprised when my ex showed up to the airport with roses and a box of Godiva chocolates. He was almost predictable that way and I was not moved by the gesture. First, I still remembered the mental abuse I had encountered with this person. And second, he always had a robotic, non-romantic way of doing things like following textbook instructions with no emotions available. Yes, once I was blinded by the gestures of flowers and chocolates but that was over 10 years ago when I didn't know any better, not anymore.

As we reverted back to our friendship, it was stress free. There we were enjoying Philly Cheese Steaks at a legit Philly Diner! It really was fun. But nothing prepared us for the greatest treat of all. Little did we know but the whole island of Jamaica along with every Jamaican that now lived in the U.S. had turned out for the Penn Relays. Everywhere we went we heard the unmistakable Jamaican accent. It was soooo cool. It was like being in Jamaica not Pennsylvania. Suddenly, we had traveled out of the country instead of within the country!! And when we were at the track meet - Jamaica was everywhere!!! I loved it! There I was in my locks looking the part as long as I kept my mouth shut. Unfortunately I was also missing my green and yellow attire that everyone seemed to have been wearing. Had I known, I would have worn something to represent and not have stuck out like a sore thumb. And when Jamaica won 1st place in the USA  vs. The World Men 4x100 (3rd time in 4 years) the stadium erupted into a frenzy!!! When I looked around I could not have been convinced that anyone was still on the island, they all had to have been at the meet!

I had made the right decision. We had come together to enjoy something that we once had bonded over. No incidents, just pure friendship. I even agreed to future track meets as long as it worked out with my future social life. That was always our deal. If we weren't in a relationship, we agreed to meet for another special occasion as friends without benefits. He did however asked me to marry him again, but I declined. I knew that a good friendship was always better than a bad marriage. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

To Be Continued...


The Penn Relays 2011




   

2 comments:

  1. Good writing, I can hear the crowd erupt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was glad to have such a fun time. The crowd really was GREAT!!!

      Delete