Friday, January 6, 2012

#2 - The Two Week Pack

So, let me go back to my two week pack so things will make sense from this point on. (Note - if you haven't read 2010 It  Begins! you may want to read it before this one.) As I had mentioned earlier, I'm a pack rat. While going through my papers, I found love letters about 25 of them, from the same person from when I was 16. You may be asking, did I stop cleaning and packing to read them? Oh yes, you bet I re-read them. Wouldn't you? Needless to say I re-lived a first love and what do you think happened? Yes, now with me reading them I looked at my life in hindsight, what, 30 years later. I also re-fell in love.

Had I found these letters, pre no privacy internet age, I would have just continued on with packing. But no!!! We live in the age where you can find someone's shoe size if you really wanted to. For the record, I don't want to know anyone's shoe size. But I digress, back to the teenage love, I Googled him. As if fate wanted a reunion, I found a possible email address and what looked to be his home phone number. All this without paying for extra info. I wrote it down and that's when the burning in my pocket began. I was 30 years older and 3 sizes larger. What in the world was I even thinking about. Was he even still alive? The chances were good since I found a number. What if he was married with children? I'm so silly what was I thinking that I would call and we would pick up where we left off? That he would still care? How silly of me. But maybe I couldn't think straight because by this time I had been packing for almost a week and a half, night and day. Plus I was really thinking I'm perimenopausal, a term I recently had learned meaning pre pre menopausal.

Well, I started with a "is this you?" email. There was a special song that we shared and to test if this was the real person I asked for the name of the song as a test. Clever I thought. As the burning sensation continued in my pocket, I continued with the tasks and errands that would advance my departure, so I continued on with my to do list. I'll never forget, I was sitting in Sam's Club getting tires when the burning sensation increased. I was eating the combo hotdog and drink when I couldn't take it any more, I called. What had I done? My heart was beating faster, my pulse racing, these are not creative statements. I could feel my heart beating at a different rate, plus I'm older and over weight, like I said not creative statements to build the moment. He answered. I knew it was him without hearing his voice for over 30 years. When he knew it was me he laughed and said the name of "Our Song".

During the coarse of what I think was a 12 minute conversation I learned that he had married and had two children, a daughter and son almost the exact same ages as my children. Yes, life had continued on. But some things don't change, the fond memories of a first love. It was the first of many conversations to catch up and to stroll down memory lane. I had faced a fear and now I realized I was on my way to live in a city that was 4 hours away from where he lived. I thought to myself, who knows, maybe one day we'll meet again.

To Be Continued...

Old Love Letters
(Photo by JaMax)


No comments:

Post a Comment